MLIM Student

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Size impacts shapes of Raindrop


I found this is quite difficult to complete this task that only use Microsoft Powerpoint, so I am not satisfied for this product.

This is the first time I think about the real shapes of raindrop, but actually I like the cartoon shape more.

Main Source: http://www.amastro.org/at/w/wrds.html

Thank Daniel to remind me for the accuracy of information in the above presentation. Actually I have compared the above information to the following two sources:

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/13646/91232
http://pao.cnmoc.navy.mil/EDUCATE/ZEUS/student/trivia/phenomen/raindrop.htm

Although the figures are not exactly the same, but the different is within 0.05". I expected the different is acceptable. What do you think?

3 Comments:

  • At Monday, June 19, 2006 2:46:00 pm, Blogger Daniel said…

    Hi Christina, I agree with Ala. You are very fast and I like how you made your representation. I also agree that PowerPoint is limited but at least gives possibility to non-technical people to create something and explore what is interactivity all about before they decide to move to more complex tool. However, my initial remarks remain: have you examined enough of information and have you asked yourself about your own knowledge when you designed this representation? How different is your understanding and the understanding presented in your link from this one at http://fraser.cc/BadScience/Bad/BadRain.html Which one is correct?

     
  • At Monday, June 19, 2006 5:04:00 pm, Blogger Christina MLIM said…

    Sorry about that. Actually, I have compared my information sources to another two sources on the internet. Because the figures described are quite similar,i.e. >0.25 inches, the raindrop will split, so I haven't questioned the accuracy of the information I presented.

    However, when I compared the result of the information you gave, the figures are a bit different, the biggest different is 1.8mm. But actually I believe my sources, because one of the sources is from "Naval Meteorology and Oceanography Command", an Official U.S. Navy Web site.

    But anyway, thank you very much for reminding to me verify the accuracy of information expressed.

     
  • At Monday, June 19, 2006 6:14:00 pm, Blogger Daniel said…

    Christina, this is the exact point of this 0065ercise: for you and other student to realize that there is a problem with information and how people express their knowledge. Deep thinking and analysis of matter is critical in other to design good informational resource. By giving to you this subject matter I wanted you to become aware of importance of questioning accuracy of information from the internet while asking your self what do you know. This is hard problem to work and a lot of people would just try to take short cut by working with information form the internet rather than asking themselves if this is accurate and if that makes sense.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home